Italian PM says he’s well after surgery on blood vessel

Italy's Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni gives a statement following a meeting with French President on January 10, 2017 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. STEPHANE DE SAKUTIN / AFP

Italy’s Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni gives a statement following a meeting with French President on January 10, 2017 at the Elysee Palace in Paris.<br />STEPHANE DE SAKUTIN / AFP

Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said on Wednesday he was feeling well following emergency surgery on a blocked blood vessel.

The surgery was successful and Gentiloni, 62, was likely to remain in hospital for a few days, aides said when announcing the news earlier in the day.

“Thanks for the affection and well-wishes. Doctors and medical staff were excellent. I’m well. Soon I’ll go back to work,” Gentiloni said on Twitter on Wednesday evening.

The premier was taken to hospital after complaining of discomfort on his return to Rome on Tuesday from an official visit to Paris, with doctors deciding he should undergo an angioplasty.

This is a procedure to widen a blocked or narrowed blood vessel, usually an artery.

“We exchanged messages this morning and I am sure that he will be back at work very soon,” junior minister Benedetto Della Vedova had told reporters before the premier’s tweet.

Gentiloni has been conducting a tour of European capitals following his appointment last month to replace Matteo Renzi, who resigned following a crushing referendum defeat.

He was in Paris on Tuesday to meet French President Francois Hollande and had been due to fly to London on Thursday to meet his counterpart Theresa May, a trip that has now been postponed.

However, Gentiloni is still due to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Rome on Friday.

With Hollande, the Italian premier discussed celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary in March of the Treaty of Rome, the accord that established what would eventually become the European Union.


You may also like

(FILES) This file photo taken on January 8, 2017 shows Volkswagen's Chairman of the Board Dr. Herbert Diess speaks during a press event on the eve of the 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan, January 8, 2017. The head of the Volkswagen brand of cars said his company would continue to manufacture in Mexico and pledged to produce electrified vehicles in the United States.Herbert Diess, who took over Volkswagen AG's namesake brand in 2015, also said the company would produce electrified vehicles in the United States.Diess on January 8, 2017 said Volkswagen would keep its production facility in Puebla, Mexico, where it produces the Jetta and the Golf MK7. Geoff Robins / AFP

VW pleads guilty to US criminal charges, pays $4.3 bn in ‘dieselgate’

27 mins ago  World

Liberal opposition (Civic Platform) lawmakers occupy the chamber of the lower house of the Polish parliament on January 11, 2017 in Warsaw amid a dispute with the governing right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) party that has paralysed the legislature since December 16. Poland's political parties said Tuesday they failed to reach agreement in talks on ending an unprecedented sit-in protest in parliament over a budget vote. JANEK SKARZYNSKI / AFP

‘No deal’ as Polish opposition sticks to parliament protest

42 mins ago  World

senate-2

Investigation: Senate threatens arrest of Permanent Secretary

57 mins ago  Nigeria